I Called It Home

Marzha Rezqyta Putri Anindhita180410160051

This place was a place where I spent about 7 years of my childhood. I was born in a midwife place near this house. My mom was a career woman and my dad also had some works to do, so my grandmother took care of me.

I live here with Eyang (my Grandma), Abah (my Grandpa), one uncle (I called him Uwa), and four aunties (ti Nda, ti Wini, ti Sansan, and ti Iyen). In my first year on earth my mom and my dad were busy finishing their Skripsi in university. After that, they started to be busy with their own job. So I always called as the last child of my Grandma because she became the real figure of a mother for me.

This place is a place that full of simple but sweet memories. I called this place: home. It was more than a building. It was more than a house. It was my home.

This house was two-floored construction. The wall was painted white both inside and outside, the roof was colored orange, and the ceiling was made by wood. It covered with a thin wire gates around the land. This building was not too big but also not too small. It was enough to live by seven to eight people. It has four bedrooms: two rooms sized for one person in which, one room seized for a couple, and one room seized for three people. On the first floor, there were a big living room which contained three sofas and table, a family room which contained TV and carpet, a large bathroom, kitchen, and two bedrooms. On the second floor, there were two bedrooms, a small bathroom, and one room that could be use for both warehouse and alternative bedroom. There was no balcony, but we have two yards. At the front yard, which was stony, there were three fishponds (which until now, I don’t know why there should be?) but we closed one pond and it became a greasy area. There was also a parking area—it was enough to park four cars or maybe two medium trucks—which also the main way to went in. At the backyard, there was a place for washing and drying clothes and there was also a water tank for water supply. The backyard was almost full of wild grass and I can say it was fused with rice fields and wild plantation areas. There were a Cherry tree and a Passion Fruit tree. Uwa often climb the Cherry tree and share it with us when he was home. The house was also had a long porch. The right side of the porch was a place where we used to do chit chat, ate snacks, or just enjoying the evening wind. There were some sofas, some bamboo chairs, and one table. The left side of the porch was used to park motorcycles and to place some unused things. Also, I used to swim in a balloon swimming pool here.

I don’t remember where or what time it was when I woke up. But in that time, every morning when anyone opened the front door for me, my nose was achy by the morning air that was too fresh. Someone, maybe Eyang, or one of my aunties, will take me to the yard and then my feet will be wet by dew on the grasses that spread almost on the entire front yard. The pale-green rice field and the fog (one of my favorite word since I’ve been introduced to it) in front of the house are two precious-ordinary things that embellished my every morning.

After those short moments, my Grandma would start to cook for breakfast. The smell of the foods will fulfill the entire house and all of us would get starved. It’s about 8 or 9 O’clock, after the cooking is done, Eyang would boiled water and mixed it with cold water for bathing me. I always love the first floor bathroom. There was a big blue water container that always caught my eyes. I always wonder if there was a monster, a ghost, a body, or maybe a big fish in there. Eyang would bathe me with my favorite shampoo and soap. They always smell like grapes. After that, she would dry my hair and body. I had a thick curly hair when I was younger, so it needed hours to dry my hair.

Midday is the time for hair combing with Eyang or any of my aunties at the terrace. When my hair is half-dried, she would comb my hair slowly from the tip to the base because it was hard to tidy my hair. The breeze was blowing up the porch, stroking the pool and made the water bumpy. There were several days (I don’t really remember whether Abah was coming home earlier or it was weekend so he was home) when Abah and I were playing kite at the front yard. I know it was boys’ toy but I really love to do it. He will fly the kite hardly and when it already had enough balance, I would be allowed to take control. It was such unforgettable moment. Our kite was dancing with the wind in a blue sky, and we were happy.

On the other days when we were bored, my Grandma and I usually watched telenovella on the TV. Our favorites were Charita de Angel, Marrimar, and another one which I can’t remember the title but we can watch it by 3D if we use special glasses (I have had one). Eyang would open the backyard door so the breeze will come in. After minutes, she would start to get sleepy and so did I. The cool floor and the breeze were perfect lullabies for the nap.

Evening was the time to gather all of the family members. Abah was coming from his office, my aunties were done from their school and campus, and sometimes my parents were there. We usually would sat at the porch, talking about what each other did a whole day, talking about some good places to visit, or just talking about anything else. It was a perfect time in a whole day: evening. Even though we cannot see the sunset—in case our house was directed to sun rise—but evening was almost the beautiful moment. The temperature will decrease, the wind blew slowly, and birds were going home. It such a simple thing, but wonderful though.

At night, I dipped Oreos into Abah’s black coffee while we—my family—were sitting and talking to and fro. Our music was the sound of crickets, Cingcuit birds, frogs, and ‘other creatures’. After that, if I was not watching TV, then I should be in bed with Eyang and Abah. I fell in deep sleep and woke up with the same activities in the morning.

All of the memories happened in the house is such unforgettable. In 2006, my family was moving into other district. Since then, there were so many things changed. Honestly, I never have home anymore. There were no special memories anymore in the other houses until now on. We left the house and I left my childhood memories there. Today, the house is gone. The last time I cross the way, it changed into convection house (rumah konveksi). The rice fields in front of the house now are being housing. The ponds are closed. It is totally a different place now. Things change but memories don’t, they said. However, it will always be my home.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s